Doing Your Own Thing¶
Once you’ve gone through the exercises and explored some of the other pre-existing scripts, here are some activities you can try when you’re ready to create your own Mod:
- Imagine what you want your Mod to do. Think through the behaviors a player will see. Think about what they can’t see. Try to write it down.
- Next, see if you can explain it to another person. Was anything unclear? Did they see any problems that you need to fix?
- Talk to a mentor or another student about how they might tackle this challenge in Python.
- Look through existing code for something that seems similar. It’s often easier to start from something that already exists, making the changes you need, than starting from scratch.
- If you do have to start from scratch, try writing little bits at a time and testing them out. That way, you can tell if you are on the right track or not.
Finally, show it off. If you create something cool, please share. Maybe it will be an example for future students to study some day!